Modoru - Downgrading PS Vita Firmware
This guide will show you how to downgrade the firmware on your homebrew enabled PS Vita. Modoru (戻る) by TheOfficialFlow is a firmware downgrade app for the PS Vita, you will use Modoru + a firmware update file
(PSP2UPDAT.PUP) of your choice to downgrade your PS Vita provided that the firmware is higher than your Vita’s factory firmware. While HENkaku has been ported to higher firmwares, 3.60 is still considered the golden firmware with the highest compatibility with homebrew as well as access to persistent custom firmware via the Ensō hack.
PlayStation Vita with Custom Firmware
- The Modoru homebrew app requires an active custom firmware exploit running on your PS Vita
- If you are on 3.65-3.68, install the h-encore exploit
- If you are on firmware 3.69-3.72, install h-encore²
PS Vita Firmware File (PSP2UPDAT.PUP) [Full List]
- Modoru requires the chosen firmware’s update file to downgrade to your chosen firmware
- The update file must be named
- Downgrade to 3.60 for the HENkaku exploit (recommended)
- Downgrade to 3.65 for the h-encore exploit
- You will need a Wi-Fi or USB connection to transfer the install files via FTP or USB with VitaShell
ux0:directory (memory card).
- On your PS Vita, launch VitaShell and Press [Select] to enter FTP mode
- Enter the address displayed on the PS Vita in your PC file browser e.g.
- On your PC file browser, go to
ux0:and create a folder called
vpkif it doesn’t already exist
modoru.vpkto the ux0:/vpk/ folder
- Press [Circle] to close FTP/USB mode
- In VitaShell, go to
- Press [Cross] to install it and confirm the extended permissions prompt
- Press [Select] to enter FTP/USB mode again
- On your PC file browser, copy your
PSP2UPDAT.PUPupdate file to
ux0:/app/MODORU000/on your PS Vita
- Go to
ur0:and rename the
- Go to ux0: and rename the /tai/ folder to /taibackup2/ if it exists This will disable all of your plugins, you will not be able to use SD2Vita or Ensō temporarily.
- Press [Circle] on your PS Vita to close FTP/USB mode
- Exit VitaShell and reboot your PS Vita
- Launch your exploit app (h-encore or Tinity) and select [Install HENkaku] then [Exit] once it is installed
- When your PS Vita reloads, open [Settings] -> [HENkaku Settings] -> check [Enable Unsafe Homebrew] then close Settings
Downgrading PS Vita Firmware
- Launch the new Modoru bubble in your LiveArea
- Press [Cross] to confirm and wait 20 seconds
- Press [Cross] to accept the terms and start the downgrade[Error 0x80010002 opening ux0:app/MODORU000/PSP2UPDAT.PUP] indicates the firmware you are attempting to install is lower than the factory firmware of the PS Vita. Try a higher firmware version.
- The Modoru menu will be replaced by the green update screen
- Your PS Vita will reboot when the update is finished, check [Settings] -> [System] -> [System Information] to confirm your new firmware version
/taibackup/folder back to
ur0:directory via VitaShell.