Modoru 2.0 - Downgrade PS Vita Firmware (3.73)
Modoru 2.0 by SKGleba is an unofficial update of TheFlow’s original Modoru homebrew application for downgrading firmware versions on PS Vita. Modoru 2.0 brings 3.71+ support which was sorely needed as the original application caused PS Vita’s on the latest firmware versions to softbrick.
3.60 is still the golden firmware and users are strongly advised to downgrade to this version for the greatest compatibility with homebrew applications and plugins. Firmware 3.60 also grants access to the persistent custom firmware hack Ensō, meaning you will not need to re-run the HENkaku exploit upon every reboot.
- Modoru 2.0 (by SKGleba)
- PSP2UPDAT.PUP (Firmware Update File)
PlayStation Vita with Custom Firmware
- The Modoru homebrew app requires an active custom firmware exploit running on your PS Vita
- If you are on 3.65-3.68, install the h-encore exploit
- If you are on firmware 3.69-3.73, install h-encore²
PS Vita Firmware File (PSP2UPDAT.PUP) [Full List]
- Modoru requires the chosen firmware’s update file to downgrade to your chosen firmware
- The update file must be named
- Downgrade to 3.60 for the HENkaku exploit (recommended)
- Downgrade to 3.65 for the h-encore exploit
- You will need a Wi-Fi or USB connection to transfer the install files via FTP or USB with VitaShell
SD2Vita Adapter (Recommended)
- Greatly expand your storage options with the MicroSD to PSVita (SD2Vita) adapter
- Convert the PS Vita game slot into a MicroSD slot
- 128GB or larger MicroSD recommeded for storing games
- Follow this guide on setting up the SD2Vita
Installing Modoru 2.0
ux0:directory (memory card).
- On your PS Vita, launch VitaShell and Press [Select] to enter FTP mode
- Enter the address displayed on the PS Vita in your PC file browser e.g.
- On your PC file browser, go to
ux0:and create a folder called
vpkif it doesn’t already exist
modoru.vpkto the ux0:/vpk/ folder
- Press [Circle] to close FTP/USB mode
- In VitaShell, go to
- Press [Cross] to install it and confirm the extended permissions prompt
- Press [Select] to enter FTP/USB mode again
- On your PC file browser, copy your
PSP2UPDAT.PUPupdate file to
ux0:/app/MODORU000/on your PS Vita
- Go to
ur0:and rename the
- Go to ux0: and rename the /tai/ folder to /taibackup2/ if it exists This will disable all of your plugins.
- Press [Circle] on your PS Vita to close FTP/USB mode
- Exit VitaShell and reboot your PS Vita
- Launch h-encore² and select [Install HENkaku] then [Exit] once it is installed
- When your PS Vita reloads, open [Settings] -> [HENkaku Settings] -> check [Enable Unsafe Homebrew] then close Settings
Downgrade PS Vita Firmware
- Launch the new Modoru 2.0 bubble in your LiveArea
- Press [Cross] to confirm and wait 20 secondsDO NOT attempt to downgrade using the original Modoru release by TheFlow, ensure you are using the unofficial update by SKGleba by checking for [mod by SKGleba]
- Press [Cross] to accept the terms and start the downgrade[Error 0x80010002 opening ux0:app/MODORU000/PSP2UPDAT.PUP] indicates the firmware you are attempting to install is lower than the factory firmware of the PS Vita. Try a higher firmware version.
- The Modoru 2.0 menu will be replaced by the green update screen
- Your PS Vita will reboot when the update is finished, check [Settings] -> [System] -> [System Information] to confirm your new firmware version
You have now successfully downgraded your PS Vita’s system firmware, you can now prepare to install the corresponding exploit for your new firmware.
/taibackup/folder back to
ur0:directory via VitaShell.