PS Vita CFW Guide - Installing HENkaku + Ensō
This guide will show you how to install the HENkaku exploit by Team molecule on your PS Vita. HENkaku is the first “jailbreak” for the PlayStation Vita. This will unlock your PS Vita’s potential, enabling you to install homebrew apps for many new features and capabilities. The HENkaku exploit itself will install the HENkaku Settings menu that allows you to install homebrew as well as other cool options. The HENkaku web exploit is compatible with firmware 3.60 only but has since been ported to higher firmwares using different methods; 3.60 is considered the ‘golden firmware’ for the PS Vita with the most compatibility with homebrew and plugins and it allows for the persistent custom firmware hack Ensō. Ensō by yifanlu is a plugin that allows the HENkaku exploit to stay active permanently, eliminating the need to run the exploit every time your PS Vita reboots. You will also install VitaShell by TheFlow, it is the primary filesystem explorer for PS Vita with various functions such as FTP and USB file transfer, a simple text editor and mounting your game card as a USB device for easy game dumping. Required Downloads:
PlayStation Vita on Firmware 3.60
- The HENkaku web exploit is only compatible with firmware 3.60
- If your firmware is lower than 3.60, update via DNS Settings or manually with the
- Confirm that your PS Vita firmware is 3.60 by going to [Settings] -> [System] -> [System Information]
Use the h-encore exploit if you are between firmware 3.65 and 3.68, or use the h-encore² exploit if you are on 3.69 or higher. Once you have an active custom firmware, you can downgrade your firmware back to 3.60 with Modoru
If your Vita prompts you about an update, power your console off then turn it on and check again.
PS Vita 1000 (Fat) Models require an official Sony Memory Card to install homebrew applications.
Wi-Fi Internet Connection
- You will be downloading and installing the HENkaku exploit using the Vita web browser
- You will be using the PlayStation Vita’s Wi-Fi connection to transfer files via FTP
SD2Vita Adapter (Recommended)
- Greatly expand your storage options with the MicroSD to PSVita (SD2Vita) adapter
- Convert the PS Vita game slot into a MicroSD slot
- 128GB or larger MicroSD recommeded for storing games
- Follow this guide on setting up the SD2Vita
- On your PS Vita, launch the Browser app and visit
- Press the orange [Install] button confirm the disclaimer and press [Install] then wait for the process to completeIf you ever accidentally delete molecularShell, you can press [R] during the HENkaku installation to restore it.
- You should now be automatically sent back to the LiveArea and find a new bubble called [molecularShell]
- Go to [Settings] -> [HENkaku Settings] and check [Enable Unsafe Homebrew]
- Return to the Settings menu and close the application
Congratulations, you’ve successfully hacked your PS Vita. With HENkaku Settings installed; you can enable the installation of homebrew applications so we can install the VitaShell file browser and the Ensō permanent custom firmware hack.
- On your PS Vita, launch [molecularShell]
- Press the [Select] button to activate FTP mode
- Enter the address displayed on the PS Vita in your PC file browser e.g.
- On your PC file browser, go to
ux0:and create a folder called
vpkif it doesn’t already exist
- When the transfer is complete, press [Circle] to close FTP mode
- In molecularShell, go to
- Press [Cross] to install them one at a time and confirm the extended permissions prompt
- Close molecularShell when the installations are complete
- Go to your LiveArea and launch the new [Ensō] app
- Press [Circle] to accept the terms and press [Circle] again to install. Press any button to reboot when the installation is complete
Congratulations, you’ve successfully installed Ensō for persistent custom firmware. You will no longer have to run the HENkaku exploit every time you reboot your PS Vita.
PS Vita Homebrew
Vita Homebrew Browser
- The Vita Homebrew Browser is a large repository for homebrew apps and plugins that can be conveniently installed directly to your Vita without a PC
NoNpDrm + ref00d
- NoNpDrm allows you to play downloaded game backups, themes and DLC.
- ref00d is a plugin that unlocks 3.61+ games to be played on any firmware, perfect for those who choose to stay on 3.60 but still want to play newer games
- Adrenaline is a homebrew that completely unlocks the built-in ePSP, allowing for flawless PlayStation Portable emulation that is also compatible with PSP homebrew.
- Moonlight is a homebrew that uses Nvidia GameStream technology for Windows remote play on the PS Vita – requires an Nvidia GPU