PS4 Jailbreak Guide - HEN Exploit on 5.05
This guide will show you how to run the 5.05 Kernel Exploit for PlayStation 4. The exploit is very simple to execute but must be run every time you boot up your PS4. While it is not as versatile as a full-fledged custom firmware, there are a range of features that are available via various payloads that can be applied through a webpage. You’ll be able to run homebrew as well as install backup games using the PS4’s built in Package Installer. If your firmware is above 5.05, a new jailbreak is now available for PS4 consoles on firmware 6.72. It is not advised to update if you are on 5.05, but this solution is great for those stuck on purgatory firmwares with no other publicly available exploits. For those on 5.05 contemplating on whether they should update to play some of the newer games; patching higher firmware games is now possible so they will be playable on firmware 5.05. There are some games that show issues and cause errors when backported, although much progress is being made daily to increase the number of games that can be backported to 5.05. It is currently difficult to write a guide on backporting games because new solutions are being developed and updated daily with new features. If you are still on 5.05 and interested in backporting games, check out AutoBackPort via RetroGamer’s Twitter. You can also follow the PSXHAX Thread for AutoBackPort.
PlayStation 4 on Firmware 5.05
- The kernel exploit and payloads by SpecterDev require firmware 5.05.
- The exploit is also compatible on firmware 5.07, which is the factory firmware for some new PS4 consoles
- If your firmware is below 5.05, you must offline update to 5.05
- There is currently no way to downgrade firmware for PS4
- Use the new jailbreak available for 6.72 consoles if your firmware is above 5.05.
- The exploit and payloads are hosted online
- DNS settings are changed to redirect your User’s Help page directly to the exploit selection page
- You can visit
https://cthugha.exploit.menu/directly via your PS4’s Internet Browser for the exploit selection page
Change DNS Settings
- On your PS4 Home Screen, go to [Settings] -> [System] -> [Automatic Downloads] and disable all options
- Go to [Settings] -> [Power Saving Settings] -> [Set Features Available in Rest Mode] and check [Keep Application Suspended]
- Go to [Settings] -> [Network] -> [Set Up Internet Connection]
- Choose the connection type that you wish to use
- Select [Custom]
- Set [DHCP Host Name] to [Do Not Specify]
- Set [DNS Settings] to [Manual]
- Set [Primary DNS] to
- Set [Secondary DNS] to
- Set [MTU Settings] to [Automatic]
- Press [Circle] to skip the internet connection test
Homebrew Enabler Exploit
- Go to [Settings] -> [User’s Guide / Helpful Info] -> [User’s Guide] to launch the exploit selection page
- Select [PS4]
- Select [Disable Updates]
- Select [HEN]
- Press the [PS] Button to go back to the Home Screen once the process is completeIf you receive any errors such as [There is not enough free system memory.], reload the exploit page and try again. Deleting browser cookies and website data from the Internet Browser settings may increase success rate.
Congratulations, your PS4 is now jailbroken. You will now have access to features such as the Package Installer for installing PS4 backup games. You will need to run the [HEN 2.1] payload every time you boot your PS4. You can place your PS4 into rest mode instead of powering it off to minimize the number of times that you’ll need to run the exploit.
The jailbreak can be somewhat unstable and is prone to crashing; just hard reset your PS4 and run the web exploit again in the event of any crashes.
PS4 Games and Homebrew
Installing PS4 Games and DLC (.pkg files)
- Use the Package Installer on homebrew enabled consoles to install games and DLC in
Install PS2 Classics (.iso) on PS4 (5.05)
- Convert PS2 .iso disc images to .pkg files that can be installed on your homebrew enabled (HEN) PS4
Enable Offline Remote Play (5.05)
- Enable Remote Play on your 5.05 PS4 without signing into the PlayStation Network
PS4Cheater – Create Your Own Cheats
- Create your own custom cheats for your PS4 games using this Windows application
- PS4Cheater allows you to edit numerical values in your games, such as currency or item quantity