Enable Controller Support on PC - Analog to Mouse Input
Not all PC games support controllers and can only be played with a keyboard & mouse. Controller support can be added to nearly any game with great results using Steam’s built-in controller configurations. This makes first-person and other mouse-focused games very playable with controllers. Steam provides far more features and customisation than other controller solutions such as JoyToKey.
This guide will show you how to map your controller to keyboard and analog sticks to mouse inputs so your controller can be used for all PC games. You will need to launch your game through Steam to use the controller configuration.
- Steam features built-in native support for Dualshock 4, Xbox and Switch Pro controllers
- You can enable controller support for any game or emulator by adding Non-Steam games to your Steam library
- Easily map keyboard keys and mouse inputs to your controller
- Dualshock 3 controller support can be added with ScpToolkit
Map Controller to Keyboard & Mouse
- Launch SteamRun Steam as administrator if your required game is also launched with administrator privileges
- In the top-left corner of the window, select [Steam] -> [Settings] -> [Controller]
- Select [General Controller Settings] -> Check [Xbox Configuration Support]
- From the main Steam window, select [Library] -> [Add Game] at the bottom left
- Select the executable
.exefile for your game
- Select your game and click [Controller Configuration] below the [Play] button
- The controller should appear as an Xbox 360 Controller if you are using ScpToolkit or Dualshock 4 if not
Here, you can map the controller buttons to near endless possibility of keyboard or mouse functions. Additional options such as Toggle and Rapid Fire can be found under [Show Activators].
You can map your analog stick to the relative mouse movement, with additional settings such as sensitivity available. This makes it very easy to setup your controller for mouse-based games like first-person shooters.
You can also map your analog stick to 8-way directions using WASD or Arrow keys.
Launch your game and your custom controller configuration will be active while the game is running.